linking back to brembs.net






My lab:
lab.png
Welcome Guest
Username:

Password:


Remember me

[ ]
 Currently Online (55)
 Extra Information
MicroBlog
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

[23 Dec 12: 13:20]
Inbox zero! I don't even remember the last time I could say that!

[06 Aug 12: 14:21]
Phew! Done with nine 20min oral exams, three more to go. To be continued tomorrow...

[14 Oct 11: 11:45]
Just received an email from a computer science student - with an AOL email address?

[03 Jul 11: 22:26]
Google citation alerts suck: I just found out by accident I rolled over h-index of 13 and 500 citations http://blogarchive.brembs.net/citations.php

[21 May 11: 18:14]
6.15pm: Does god have Alzheimer? No #rapture in Europe...

[01 May 11: 11:31]
w00t! Just been invited to present at OKCon 2011! #OKCon2011


Networking

Subscribe to me on FriendFeed
Follow brembs on Twitter

Research papers by Björn Brembs
View Bjoern Brembs

Science Blog Directory
Random Video
SciSites
- Gauge Cluster Modifications
Adding a wood-grain touch to the gauge cluster
on Wednesday 13 April 2011
by bjoern author list
in car articles > Mazda Miata M-Edition (2002-present)

For me, the roadster-look is all about wood and chrome in a car. So I found a cheap way of adding some wood to the dash by applying thin burlwood veneer to the gauge cluster. Gauge rings complemented the wood.


This is how it all looked before I started:

I took the cluster out and disassembled it:

This, by the way, is the German cluster I used to get the speedo from and the 'real' oil pressure gauge.
I took the gauge faces off to see how new faces would be installed:

I took this opportunity to install a speedo that reads in km, not in miles. A local speedometer shop set the kilometers to the same value as the mileage of the car (only in km) A 'real' oil pressure gauge from a pre-94 Miata was also installed.
For the burlwood overlay I started with a cheap metal overlay I got off Ebay:

I pre-coated the veneer with varnish so it would be easier to work with:

Then I glued the metal onto the wood:

I taped over the wood before I started cutting it out, just to make sure it wouldn't break or crack:

Then I started cutting...

... until it looked like this:

I took the clear plastic piece off by heating it in almost boiling water and then popping it off:

... and then mounted the rings and the overlay onto the black base.


This is what the cluster looks like now, with the custom white gauge faces installed as well:

Render time: 0.9109 sec, 0.0232 of that for queries.